Tuesday, January 7, 2014

This is a full-sized, over the ear, open back headphone. DT880


Recent Posts Grails 2.3 and IntelliJ 12 XML Parsing with Android Headphones – DT880 Pro, DT1350, ATH-AD700 Android Kiosk Application Java Development Kit v7 on MacOS X 10.8.3 Cheap data plans for existing DiGi users Kindle Paperwhite case Retaining Fragments in ViewPagers How To Enable Developer Mode in JellyBean Install CyanogenMod 10.1 on the Nexus Q Tags
android apache-commons apple blogging books closure continuous-integration cvs debugging dell eclipse electro flash flickr google google-chrome google-guice google-wave headphone hp hudson ipad iphone java java jee junit kindle Linux maven mockito motorola mysql nexus one open-source palm palmos photo Programming spring testing potchefstroom university travel Ubuntu weblogic windows wordpress
I don’t usually rave about my toys. But these headphones deserve a short write up. I’ve settled on these two Beyerdynamic headphones after a week of ploughing through reviews. Music listening is something I do a lot ( which I suspect also true for the vast majority of programmers), so it only made sense that the experience be as pleasant as possible. So here is a quick run through my latest fling with head-fi headphones. Beyerdynamic
They’re potchefstroom university a German company that makes excellent headphones, among other audio equipments. I like their sound signature – punchy mid bass and excellent sub bass with smooth treble. The sound is very clean, with non of the harshness in the upper frequency my consumer-grade Philips earphones make whenever I decide to listen to power vocalists like Adele and Celine Dion (yeah, potchefstroom university bite me). I like their headphones so much I bought two, though not on purpose. potchefstroom university Their price point, availability in Malaysia and quality makes them kinda a no-brainer. They make headphones built with plenty of metal and high quality plastics, with respectable serviceable parts (head band and ear cup cushions are replaceable). The headphones look and feel like they could take a beating and come out unscathed. This is something potchefstroom university I’m so not used to in tech toys (exception being Apple’s Macbook Pros). I’m potchefstroom university very careful when putting these on top of my Macbook because potchefstroom university a mistake would mean the Macbook’s aluminium will be scratched for sure. DT1350
They’re portable, closed back, on-ear headphones. Impedance is at 80 ohms, and the drivers are fairly efficient so they are driven just fine of my Galaxy S4 and 5th gen iPod Touch. They’re sold as portable monitoring headphones but I guess I’ll be using them as my outdoors headphones powered just off my portable devices or laptop. I’ll be retiring my Philips earphones (or maybe not since the DT1350 gets uncomfortable after 2 hour+ use). These things are top-of-the-line portable headphones so they sound excellent. And when I say they sound good, it’s potchefstroom university not just among ultra portables but even when compared to full-sized headphones. In terms of sound quality, I believe these even edge out the DT880s! The highs are really detailed, but for some reason, they don’t sound piercing at all. So these are detailed, but not bright. And the lows, oh boy do they present bass in a good way. Plenty of tight sub-bass, and they can get loud too. Textured too, and by that I mean you hear different tones of bass instead of a mono thump.
The only drawback is that since they’re on-ear, they press down on my ear cups so it becomes potchefstroom university uncomfortable after a few hours (not so much an issue since I tend not to work many hours outdoors). But I WANT to come back to listening to them because they sound so damn good. Another issue is that being closed back also mean they sound like… well, listening to headphones. Stereo projection is dead centre in your head so it’s fatiguing after an extended listen, and they don’t sound too good for certain kind of music. I’m slowly loosening up and they’re getting much more comfortable over time. Do note though that you don’t want to over do it because then you’ll potchefstroom university lose that delicious bass.
This is a full-sized, over the ear, open back headphone. DT880′s are no longer top of the line, but they still sound absolutely amazing. To get better sound, the next step up would be a T90 which costs 3 times more. And considering that the DT880 were king of the hill for at least 30+ years (these came out in 1981), I’m definitely not worried about its sound quality. They’re also very comfortable, made for many hours of wearing with very thick head band padding and velour (as opposed to fake leather) ear cup cushions. Being in Malaysia, my ears thank me for keeping them cool. The DT880 Pro is also a semi-open headphone, so they leak sound (it’s as if I’m wearing mini-stereo speakers) but the up side is the stereo imaging tend to be very wide, so it sounds as if sound is coming from around me and music doesn’t sound tiring. Sound wise, the DT1350 has a slight edge to the

No comments:

Post a Comment